FreeFileSync - Compare and synchronize directories
The open source tool FreeFileSync analyzes and compares directories
Compare and synchronize directories
Analyzed with one click on »Compare« FreeFileSync previously selected directories and finds different, moved or renamed files and file versions.
In the options you can determine whether the comparison should be based on file size, date or the content of a file. The middle column shows with arrows which files have to be copied from one directory to the other so that the directories are identical.
The whole thing also works via automatic synchronization.
The data can be mirrored, updated, synchronized on both sides or automatically. It is also possible to save configurations in order to simply call up the corresponding behavior via a batch job if necessary.
FreeFileSync is network compatible, supports long file names with more than 260 characters and file sizes over 4 GB.
- As an installation type Local or Portable to be chosen.
The local installation creates an uninstaller and various entries in the registry to register file extensions for the program and to save the settings in% APPDATA% \ FreeFileSync.
- The portable installation only copies the program files, does not save any registry entries and saves the settings in the program directory.
An update function always keeps the program up to date.
A help file is also available in which the use of the tool is described, but the help is in English.
- Detection of moved and renamed files
- Copy locked files using Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service. (Windows only)
- Support for multiple folder pairs with distinct configuration
- Compare files (bytewise or by date) and synchronize them.
- Create batch jobs for automated synchronization with or without GUI.
- Optimized performance, coded in C ++ completely.
- Native 32 and 64 bit builds
- Transactional file copy
- Synchronization database for propagation of deleted files and conflict detection
- Full support for Windows / Linux Symbolic Links and Windows Junction Points.
- Full unicode support.
- Full network support.
- Built-in support for very long filenames (more than MAX_PATH = 260 characters).
- Copy NTFS alternate data streams, compressed and encrypted file attributes
- Lean & easily accessible UI: only useful functionality, no feature bloat.
- Support for filesizes larger than 4GB.
- Option to move files to Recycle Bin instead of deleting / overwriting them.
- Ignore directories "\ RECYCLER" and "\ System Volume Information" with default filter. (Windows only)
- Delete before copy: Avoid disc space shortages for large sync jobs.
- Filter functionality to include / exclude files from synchronization.
- Automatically handle daylight saving time changes on FAT / FAT32 volumes.
- Portable version available (selectable via installer).
- Opt-in for automatic online update.
- Localized versions are available for many languages.
- Create recurring backups with macros% time%,% date% within directory names
- Copy file create / modification times when synchronizing.
- Advanced locking strategy to allow multiple synchronization processes (eg multiple writers, same network share).
- Case-sensitive synchronization of file, directory and symlink names